17. It's fraudulent : FORGED CHECK.
27. It's fabricated : TRUMPED UP CHARGE.
46. It's fake : COUNTERFEIT NOTE.
56. Race errors, and what 17-, 27- and 46-Across have : FALSE STARTS.
*Remember the 1961 movie starring Tony Curtis? I thought of it immediately when I saw the theme.
1. Wrap giant : ALCOA. Ummm..."Saran" also fits.
6. Reliever Orosco with the MLB record for career pitching appearances : JESSE. I nailed it! (...after getting J-E-S-S-* from the perps.)
11. Center of excellence? : ELS. The two "Ls" in the word, not a think tank.
14. Quaking causes : FEARS.
15. Plant pest : APHID. I long for the days of pinching APHIDs off my roses!
16. Rest one's dogs, so to speak : SIT. "Dogs" is a slang word for feet.
19. "Double Fantasy" artist : ONO. How do I clue thee? Let me count the ways...
20. Extras in an env. : ENCS. Enclosures.
21. Squeezed (out) : EKED.
22. Web-footed critter : OTTER. I was looking for some kind of duck.
24. Mustard, for one: Abbr. : COL.onel.
25. Encouraging shouts : OLEs.
26. Shout : SCREAM. Ole!
30. ''Saint Joan'' star Jean : SEBERG. A tragic figure in filmdom.
31. __ Locks: St. Marys River rapids bypass : SOO.
32. Hid the gray in : DYED.
33. Brewers' outfielder Braun : RYAN. Nailed it! (...after getting the R-Y-A-N from perps.)
35. Creator of Della : ERLE. Stanley Gardner - "Perry Mason."
37. Morales of film : ESAI.
40. Part of a foot : TOE.
42. Pompous authority : POOBAH. Great word!
49. Beer with "Since 1775" on its label : STROHS.
50. Big dos :'FROS. Afros.
51. Grazing area : LEA.
52. More of that : THOSE. I think this was my favorite clue.
53. Detective Peter of old TV : GUNN. Played by?
54. Estate attorney's concern : HEIR.
55. __ Lingus : AER.
59. Mrs., in much of the Americas : SRA. Señora.
60. Classic six-couplet poem : TREES. Joyce Kilmer.
61. Has __: can save face : AN OUT.
62. Triumphant cry : YES. [insert fist pump]
63. Dost espy : SEEST.
64. Has a sudden inspiration? : GASPS. My second favorite clue.
1. Gets to : AFFECTS. I don't let most things get to me. Life's too short.
2. Heroine of Beethoven's "Fidelio" : LEONORE. Beethoven's only opera!
3. AAA, for one : CAR CLUB.
4. AAA et al. : ORGS.
5. Enzyme suffix : ASE.
6. Hiked, with "up" : JACKED.
7. "The Comedy of Errors" setting : EPHESUS.
8. Word with wood or water : SHED.
9. Quote qualifier : SIC.
10. Ex-mayor with a cameo in "The Muppets Take Manhattan" : ED KOCH.
11. Abstruse stuff : ESOTERY. OK, but I usually use the word "esoterica." You?
12. Pedigree : LINEAGE.
13. Came (in) dramatically : STORMED.
18. Convention attendees : DELEGATES.
23. Exploit : TRADE ON. "He traded on his good looks to..."
25. "Live at the __": Patsy Cline album : OPRY. Can you tell which line she flubbed on this early recording?
26. Venomous arachnids : SCORPIONS.
28. Sources of fine wool : MERINOS.
29. "... rapping at my chamber door" poet : POE. From "The Raven."
34. Fish-fowl link : NOR. What is neither fish NOR flesh, feathers nor bone, but still has fingers and thumbs of its own? (Answer, below.)
36. Filming sites : LOTS.
37. Heaven on earth : ECSTASY.
38. "Told ya!" : SO THERE.
39. Natural light shows : AURORAS.
41. Pours out : EFFUSES.
43. Short, tailored jackets : BOLEROS. Like this.
44. Really dug something : ATE IT UP.
45. San Simeon family : HEARSTS.
47. Guards may prevent them : THEFTS.
48. Antarctic explorer Shackleton : ERNEST. I have read every book I could find about his ill-fated trip. My favorite was "The Endurance: Shackleton's legendary Antarctic expedition," by Caroline Alexander. This picture almost looks like Boston harbor this week.
53. Pure delight : GLEE.
54. 1985 U.S. Open champ Mandlikova : HANA.
57. Modern art? : ARE. Cute misdirection.
58. Recess game : TAG. Or phone game.
"Your're IT !!"
Answer to 34-Down: A glove.
Note from C.C.:
Please send positive thoughts (or say a prayer) to Husker Gary, who's having an important operation tomorrow. Please also keep Yellowrocks in your thoughts. She fell on ice last week and broke some of the stitches from her knee surgery. She needs repair surgery soon.
|Joann, Granddaughter Elise & Gary|