Theme: If you see them, it's already too late - Split up between two words.
39A. Elite Navy group that's fittingly camouflaged in the four longest answers in this puzzle : SEALS
17A. Faulty smoke detectors, e.g. : FALSE ALARMS
24A. Comedian Handler's talk show : CHELSEA LATELY. The show is on E! LINK(2:57)
49A. Higher than zero, on an altimeter : ABOVE SEA LEVEL
60A. Countries with strong economic ties, say : CLOSE ALLIES
Argyle here. C.C. there. Good time everywhere. But where are the Seals? Spit up 2&2, then 3&1 twice and back to 2&2.
1. Curved sword : SABER
6. Glad shelfmate : HEFTY. Plastic bags.
11. Pint-size : WEE
14. Justice Samuel : ALITO
15. Blast from the past : OLDIE
16. Veal cordon bleu stuffing : HAM
19. DSL offerer : ISP. Someone might say DSL is means of transmission and not an Internet Service Provider but not me.
20. Photo lab abbr. : ENL. (enlargement)
21. It may be gluten-free : DIET
22. Impressionist Claude : MONET. Gluten-free flat bread? Update: Tarte Tatin.
28. Many Southwestern homes : ADOBEs
30. Tennille of pop's Captain & Tennille : TONI
31. Cap brim : VISOR
32. Debatable : MOOT
34. Spot for a remote : SOFA. (between the cushions)
38. Bach's "Mass __ Minor" : IN B
40. Zen garden fish : KOI
41. High-protein beans : SOYs
43. British aristocrat : EARL
44. Poppy product : OPIUM
46. Bowled over : AWED
48. Bells and whistles : FRILLS
54. "E! News" subject : CELEB
55. Big Mack : SEMI
56. A/C capacity meas. : BTU. We here are in for a test of our A/C's.
59. Campus aides, for short : TAs. (teaching assistant)
64. Ozzie Smith's number : ONE
65. Autumn blossom : ASTER
66. Chai __: Starbucks order : LATTE
67. Director Howard : RON
68. Like old attics : MUSTY. I went with DUSTY first.
69. Fencing swords : ÉPÉEs
1. Bank vault : SAFE
2. "Moon Shot" co-author Shepard : ALAN. The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon.
3. Portrayer of TV's Dr. Cliff Huxtable : BILL COSBY. Great show.
4. "Avatar" extras : ETs
5. Short-antlered critter : ROE DEER
6. Boring outcomes? : HOLEs. Cute.
7. Bring joy to : ELATE
8. Prez on a dime : FDR. (Franklin D. Roosevelt)
9. Journalist Russert : TIM
10. Overly agreeable guy : YES MAN
11. Snivel : WHINE
12. Prop for van Gogh : EASEL
13. Unthreatening, as some threats : EMPTY
18. Feels sick : AILs
23. Milo's film friend : OTIS
25. "Game of Thrones" channel : HBO. (Home Box Office)
26. Lagoon-enclosing isle : ATOLL
27. Oodles : LOTS
28. Rental car choice : AVIS
29. "The Flintstones" pet : DINO
32. Victor at Gettysburg : MEADE. General George Gordon Meade (1815-1872) Born in Cadiz, Spain. More info.
33. Sculling need : OAR
35. "This may be a trick, but tell me" : "OK, I'LL BITE"
36. Umpire's call : FOUL
37. Points (at) : AIMS
39. Gets the point : SEEs
42. Copy to the hard drive : SAVE
44. First name in popcorn : ORVILLE. Most popcorn from Orville Redenbacher are gluten free.
45. Dessert slice : PIE
47. Video chat need : WEBCAM
48. Tornado response gp. : FEMA. (Federal Emergency Management Agency)
49. Audition hopeful : ACTOR
50. Number-calling game : BEANO
51. Daily Planet cub reporter : OLSEN
52. Selling point : ASSET
53. Not fully trusting : LEERY
57. Beret's perch : TÊTE. On a French head.
58. Puts to work : USEs
61. Fighting Tigers' sch. : LSU. (Louisiana State University)
62. Tiebreakers, briefly : OTs. (overtime)
63. Once around the track : LAP
Note from C.C.:
Happy 53rd wedding anniversary to Hondo and his wife Lucy. How are you celebrating this year, Hondo? Block Island?