google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday September 8, 2013 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter

Advertisements

Sep 8, 2013

Sunday September 8, 2013 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter

Theme: "What Was In Is Now Out" - IN is replaced by OUT in each theme entry.

23A. Patiently do tough tile work? : GROUT AND BEAR IT. Grin and bear it.

44A. Displeasure over a split? : BOWLING POUT. Bowling pin. Really love this answer and clue. So visual. There's is a straying IN here & 16D. We might have had some dry entries if Marti completely avoided words with no straying INs.

65A. Big toe, often? : GOUT JOINT. Gin joint.

87A. Fight over a washing machine? : LAUNDRY BOUT. Laundry bin. I use baskets.

107A. Campaign oratory? : POLITICAL SPOUT. Political spin.

16D. Belligerent headliner? : SHOUTING STAR. Shining star.

58D. What Army recruiters do? : TOUT SOLDIERS. Tin soldiers.

Wow, I grokked the theme immediately after I saw the title, knowing Marti's fondness for letter addition/deletion/replacement gimmick.

Five front change, 2 back change. Very consistent. Marti also has a classic 7-themer grid, with her theme answers spread to every corner.

Very smooth grid. Nothing obscure. That's hard to accomplish in a 21*21. Lots of great clues, naturally! For newcomers, today's Marti is the same bubbly Marti who blogs for us on Thursdays. She uses HeartRx in the Comments section.

Across:

1. Brinker on skates : HANS.  "The Silver Skates".

5. Public display : SCENE

10. High mountain : ALP. Dictionary says this is back formation from Alps.

13. Popular small plane : CESSNA. For Dudley. I listened to the "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me" Tanglewood last week. That Ax guy is indeed quite funny.

19. "Yeah, right" : I BET

20. Absorb the hit, financially : EAT IT

21. Gamboling spot : LEA

22. Tizzy : LATHER. In a tizzy/lather.

26. One thing editors look for : ERRORS. True. I just did not expect a plural answer after reading the "one thing" clue.

27. Woodcutters' tools : HAND SAWS

28. Latte option : MOCHA

30. One before dix : NEUF. Dix is French for ten. I bet Abejo nailed this one :-)

31. "Would __ to you?" : I LIE

32. Lofty capital : LHASA. They drink yak butter tea there.


34. France's westernmost city : BREST

36. Like most plumbing : INDOOR

39. 1984 Vardon Trophy winner Calvin : PEETE. Vardon Trophy is awarded to golfers with the lowest scoring average. PEETE might be difficult to some of you. But he's a very important figure in PGA history. He was the Tiger before Tiger.

40. Where streets meet : CROSSING

43. Corker : BEAUT

46. Jacques ou Pierre : NOM. Name.

47. Player in 24 All-Star games : MAYS. Consecutive! And Hank Arron and Stan Musial.

48. Spanish folk hero : EL CID

49. Significant times : ERAs

50. Stats often in APBs : HGTs

51. Copywriters' awards : CLIOs

52. __ Tin Tin : RIN

54. "Yummy!" : DELISH. Thought of our dear LaLaLinda who could not have any wheat product. I bet many of you could not live like that, even for a week.

56. Traveler's stop : MOTOR INN

60. Cookout site : PATIO

62. Flat figure : RENTER. This "flat" always tricks me. Apartment.

64. Rice-__ : A-RONI

68. "I don't give __!" : A DARN

69. Good things : PLUSES

71. Spread generously : SMEAR

72. Puzzle solver's smudges : ERASURES. Wite-out here.  Spitzboov uses it also.

74. Blasts from the past : A-TESTS

76. 7, on old phones : PRS

77. Not slouching : ERECT. Can you picture Marti's smile when she filled and clued this entry?

78. MIT part: Abbr. : INST

79. Rake : ROUE

81. WWII marine attacker : E-BOAT. Never know it's U or E.

82. Disney chairman during the Lucasfilm acquisition : IGER (Bob). This "during" clue made me think Iger has just retired and Disney has a new chairman.

86. Prefix with meter : ODO

90. Memory Muse : MNEME. No idea. Must be root for Mnemonics.

91. Cave : COLLAPSE

93. Pulls in : EARNS

94. Oranges and lemons : CITRUS. Lemonade shout out!

95. Thick : DENSE

96. 1 for H and 2 for He, e.g. : AT NOs

97. Since, in a nostalgic song : SYNE. "Auld Lang Syne".

98. Prefix with Japanese : SINO. Sino-Japanese. The clue works and I got it, but I don't like it. Way too general, since SINO can be "Prefix with any country".

99. Request to pull over, maybe : SIREN

101. Gather around : ENCIRCLE

105. New Orleans cuisine : CREOLE

110. "The Naked Ape" author Desmond : MORRIS. Never heard of him.


111. Syst. for talking without speaking : ASL. Neat clue.

112. More than like : ADORE

113. "This can't be happening!" : OH NO.

114. Approval : ASSENT

115. __ Moines : DES

116. Daydreaming, with "out" : ZONED

117. Many a student's need : LOAN

Down:

1. Weather forecast number : HIGH. It's indeed a number.

2. Magical opening : ABRA

3. Light gas : NEON

4. Hitting the books : STUDIOUS

5. Oceanfront invigorator : SEA AIR. Been a long time since I smelled of sea air. By the way, Boomer has been doing great. Thanks for all the emails and blog wishes.



6. "Pretty please?" : CAN WE

7. Boarding hr. determinants : ETDs

8. Point of writing? : NIB. Pen tip is called NIB.

9. Bastille Day saison : ETE

10. 1953 A.L. MVP : AL ROSEN. Look, a baseball entry from Marti!  "The Hebrew Hammer".

11. Nikon competitor : LEICA

12. Garden feature : PATH

13. Largest OH airport : CLE

14. Fervent : EARNEST

15. Type-A concern : STRESS. Are you a Type A or Type B?

17. Spongy toy brand : NERF

18. MGM motto word : ARS

24. Letter-shaped track : T SLOT

25. Italian who pulled a lot of strings : AMATI. Great clue.

29. Out of the country : ABROAD

32. Partner of Martin : LEWIS. Dean Martin. Jerry Lewis.

33. Didn't come unglued : HELD

35. Snore, maybe : ROUSER

36. Developer of the one-named "Jeopardy!" contestant Watson : IBM. One of our blog readers is involved in the Watson project.

37. Poetry Out Loud contest co-creator: Abbr. : NEA

38. 86,400 seconds : DAY. 1,440 minutes.

39. Pennsylvania's resort area, with "the" : POCONOS. Anyone been there? Yellowrocks?

40. EMT's training : CPR

41. "Let's talk outside" : NOT HERE

42. Baseball VIPs : GMs

44. Flashy accessories : BLING. OK, look at Madonna's tooth BLING. Why do rappers think gold grills cool, PK?




45. Surprises in bottles : GENII. Oh, I was picture those bottle messages.

48. Manning of the NFL : ELI

50. Vishnu worshiper : HINDU. Brahma, Shiva, and Vishnu, 3 Hindu gods.

51. Tears up : CRIES

52. Indian nobles : RAJAs

53. Use __ lose ... : IT OR

55. Bare minimum : LEAST

56. Rand McNally offering : MAP. Not of much use nowadays.

57. Magic home : ORLANDO. The Golf Channel headquarters is there too.

59. Beginning : ONSET

60. Feather: Pref. : PTER. I thought it means "wing".

61. Heavy : ONEROUS

63. IV monitors : RNs

66. Called a strike, say : UMPED

67. Reward for sitting, maybe : TREAT. Dog.

70. Subway hangers : STRAPS

73. Play part : ACT

75. They're often pickled : SOUSES. Got me. I pickle lots of veggie. Not in the drunk direction.

77. Black colors, in poetry : EBONs

78. Winter Games gp. : IOC

80. A, in Arles : UNE

81. Spain's longest river : EBRO

82. 190-member enforcement group : INTERPOL. Very helpful "enforcement" clue.

83. Home of BMW : GER. Headquartered in Munich.

84. Dingo prey : EMU. Oh, how I bored you last summer with "Call Me, Maybe".


85. Hi-__ monitor : RES

87. Shaving cream additive : LANOLIN

88. Passes along, as a good joke : RE-TELLS. I need to pass along D-Otto's jokes yesterday, click here and next post.

89. One-named New Ager : YANNI

90. Skimpy skirts : MINIs. For Splynter.


92. Whom the angels name in "The Raven" : LENORE

94. Competed in the Tour de France : CYCLED

96. Came up : AROSE

97. Bag : SNARE

98. Signs of fullness, briefly : SROs. SRO = Standing-Room Only.

100. Popular tablet : iPAD

101. MBA subject : ECON

102. Pacific salmon : COHO

103. Roman moon deity : LUNA

104. Prince William's alma mater : ETON. He'll be a great king. So humble.

105. Nashville awards gp. : CMA (Country Music Association)

106. Winter setting at Mt. Snow : EST. Only from Marti.  Mt Snow is a ski resort in Vermont.

108. Whirling toon : TAZ

109. Response on the stand : I DO


Tickets are still available for "An Evening with the Puzzle Master".  Will Shortz, editor of NY Times crossword, is visiting Minnesota next Thursday Sept 12, 2013. He'll answer all questions about puzzles. Click here for details. I hope to see some of you there. 
C.C.

39 comments:

River Doc said...

Happy Sunday everybody!

Knew we were in for some fun as soon as I saw Marti’s name listed as the constructor! GROUT AND BEAR IT was the first theme revealer….

Only one disappointment – really REALLY wanted INK BLOTS instead of ERASURES, since that’s how puzzle solving smudges are usually described here at The Corner post-crossword wrap-up….

On the other hand, really REALLY enjoyed seeing Willie MAYS in the grid. Interesting that he played in 24 All-Star Games, and wore number 24 on his uniform….

So all in all, a thoroughly DELISH Sunday offering, and unlike Saturday, very STRESS-free…! Speaking of the debacle that was my pitiful attempt to solve yesterday’s puzzle, this 6-second clip more than adequately describes how I felt afterwards….

Learning moments = PTER, NEUF, and CLE….

Wrong-overs included ROWAN for LEWIS, IN LINE for INDOOR, DITHER for LATHER, FRUITS for CITRUS, DECAF for MOCHA, and AKAs for HGTS….

Favorite clue = They’re often pickled…. Speaking of pickled souses, W.C. Fields’ depiction of Egbert Souse (it’s pronounced Sue-SAY!) in the movie The Bank Dick is one of the all-time classics….

In Through the Out Door was Led Zepplin’s final studio album….

C.C., the pic in the expo of MINIs look more like Micro-Minis to me. Otherwise known as “belts” (woo-hoo!)….

How many of us penciled in A DAMN before settling for A DARN…?

I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel regarding my assignment ABROAD, which definitely counts as a PLUS in my book….

NEUF said, this is Da Doc signing OUT…!

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

Definitely a fun theme today. Struggled a bit with NEUF, PEETE, BREST and GENII (which I thought was the plural of genius, not genie), but nothing too bad.

And yes, C.C., PTER is a combining form meaning "one with wings" and not feathers (which is why the non-feathered flying dinosaurs are called pterosaurs). Methinks Rich slipped a gear here...

[elicklaw]

Dudley said...

Hello Puzzlers -

Hey, thanks for Cessna, Marti! Loved the puzz. The grid shape is even artistic! Of course, the Mt. Snow clue has you all over it.

Morning C.C. - glad you got to hear the Tanglewood WWDTM show. It seems like ages ago, now. Those skirts are pretty skimpy, but evidently those girls have the credentials to wear them. Yes, I've been to the Poconos, but only by accident. My girlfriend and I got lost in that area on an icy December night while traveling in my essentially unheated VW Microbus.

Doha - actually, I put in A Hoot first. I wanted Rats Ass but it didn't fit. I use that phrase a lot...

"Grout and bear it" got a smile out of me. We have tile laid but not yet grouted, and since we can't walk on it, it's hard to get around the house. Mneme is new to me, even my spell checker doesn't know it.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

I found lots of ways to go wrong today. I thought "hitting" the books called for STUDYING before STUDIOUS. My ERASURES were INKBLOTS. (Let me reiterate, I really hate doing the Sunday pzls on a tablet.)

I read "invigorator" as "investigator" so SEA AIR was slow to arrive. Doha, I did not pencil in A DAMN -- I proudly stylused (is that a word?) it in.

Learning moments: They put lanolin in shaving cream? I thought it only went into Wildroot Cream Oil, Charlie. C.C., that yak butter tea sounds absolutely terrible! And who knew that Marti is also known as the Hebrew Hammer? -- oh, you meant Al ROSEN.

LaLaLinda said...

Hi All ~~

What a great puzzle, Marti! I'm wondering if I would have caught on to the theme without the title ~ so clever! But it did help with the theme answers and I smiled with each one.

I had a few slow spots, mostly due to misdirection, which I love. 67D - Reward for sitting - TREAT (I was thinking baby-sitting) and 51D - Tears up - CRIES (I was thinking of shredding) were my favorites.

Also loved 'Italian who pulled a lot of strings' - AMATI.

The spelling of 45D - Surprises in bottles - GENII - held me up. I wanted Genies or maybe Genis. The last to fill was 90A - Memory Muse - MNEME and I got it only after thinking of Mnemonic, as C.C. mentioned.

A wonderful write-up, C.C. - lots of interesting info. Thanks for the shout-out. Eliminating wheat is not so bad once ya learn a few substitutions. Muffins with flax seed meal - DELISH? Well ... ;-)

Enjoy your Sunday - a beautiful late summer day here ~ I really shouldn't stay indoors to watch baseball and football!

HeartRx said...

Thanks for the lovely write-up, C.C.!!



I had originally submitted this as a weekday puzzle, but Rich thought it would make a good Sunday theme. He actually thought of the title, and I'm glad he did.



The problem was, there are not a lot of (common) words where you can swap "in" with "out." Matter of fact, there are exactly seven (the bare minimum for a Sunday theme!) 



You could maybe argue for MOUTH - MINH, but how to clue HO CHI MOUTH?



And ROUT - RIN wouldn't work, because RIN TIN TIN would not clue well when changed to ROUT TOUT TOUT (besides, I already had TOUT in another entry.)



Anyway, it is what it is. Dudley, I definitely did think of you when clueing CESSNA! Of course, the Mt. Snow clue was mine. And yes, ERECT gave me a chuckle, C.C. You know me too well...

ARBAON said...

25 ways to know you`re a true Floridian:
( For Dennis, Lemonade and, sometimes, me)
1. Socks are only for bowling.
2. You never use an umbrella because the rain will be over in five minutes.
3. A good parking place has nothing to do with distance from the store, but everything to do with shade.
4. Your winter coat is made of denim.
5. You can tell the difference between fire ant bites and mosquito bites.
6. You're younger than thirty but some of your friends are over 65.
7. Anything under 70 degrees is chilly.
8. You've driven through Yeehaw Junction.
9. You know that no other grocery store can compare to Publix.
10. You know that anything under a Category 3 just isn't worth waking up for.
11. You dread love bug season.
12. You are on a first name basis with the hurricane list. They aren't Hurricane Charley or Hurricane Frances. You know them as Andrew, Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne, Wilma, Irene, Cheryl, Rita, Mary, Alison
13. You know what a snowbird is and when they'll leave.
14. You think a six-foot alligator is actually pretty average.
15. 'Down South' means Key West.
16. Flip-flops are everyday wear. Shoes are for business meetings and church, but you HAVE worn flip flops to church before.
17. You have a drawer full of bathing suits, and one sweatshirt.
18. You get annoyed at the tourists who feed seagulls.
19. A mountain is any hill 100 feet above sea level.
20. You know the four seasons really are: hurricane season, love bug season, tourist season and summer.
21. You've hosted a hurricane party.
22. You can pronounce Okeechobee, Kissimmee , Withlacoochee , Thonotosassa and Micanopy.
23. You understand why it's better to have a friend with a boat, than have a boat yourself.
24. You've worn shorts and used the A/C on Christmas and New Years.
25. You recognize Miami-Dade as 'Northern Cuba.'

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Great puzzle, Marti! I read the title but didn't "get" the theme until I was done and studied it awhile.
Duh! It would have been such a help to have caught on earlier. I thought the puzzle was a lot harder than yesterday's which I breezed through for some reason.

62A Flat figure wasn't "no bust". DARN!

Weather forecast here this week is HIGH temperatures. Supposed to get above 100 today. DARN! I need to overseed my spring planting of grass but too hot.

I had canon before LEICA. I know they are HIGH end cameras, but don't know if I've ever seen one used.

Tears up: rends before CRIES.

Bare minimum: those ruffled belts C.C. showed us.

C.C.: I think rappers want grill bling to show they can now afford the gold because they grew up poor. My mother-in-law had bad teeth which the dentist edged in gold back in the '30's. She was kind of a "rapper" in that she pointed out everyone's bad points long and loud until I would have liked to rap her on the noggin.

I used to be Type A, but most most of the time now I'm so laid back I'm Type C (for comatose).

Thanks, C. C., for the great expo. I'm glad Boomer has no lasting effects.

Husker Gary said...

A big coffee, PB&J on English muffins, a Marti puzzle with a fun/helpful theme, memories of a Husker blowout last night and a CC summary. Ah, life is good!

Musings
-BOWLING POUT - A guy we no longer see kicked the ball return when he made a bad shot.
-EAT IT! (3:30)
-Gee, they make SAWS without motors?
-The highest city in the world according to Nat Geo
-Anyone here ever had to frequent OUTDOOR loos?
-About half of car crashes occur at CROSSINGS
-Imagining some journeyman second baseman EARNING more money that Willy MAYS ever did is painful
-Omahan Bob Gibson was a leader in the low ERA ERA
-MOTOR INNS along former major highways the interstate bypassed are about to COLLAPSE
-My friend always thought Frankie Valli’s “My eyes ADORED you” was “My Georgia”
-My neighbor’s daughter is a single mother with $100,000 in student LOANS to pay back. She’s sending in $1,000/month from her RN pay
-I’m a TYPE A trying to dial back to a TYPE B
-My girls used the T SLOT track I bought them zero times
-Use IT OR lose it!
-Make your bribe payable to the IOC

Abejo said...

Good morning, folks. Thank you, Marti, for an excellent puzzle. Thank you, C.C., for the fine review.

Yes, C.C., I did get NEUF for 30A, right after EARNEST, STRESS, SHOUTING STAR, and NERF. Piece of cake.

Got started easily and pretty much worked from the north to the south, albeit slowly.

Like MNEME for 90A. We used Mnemonics continuously in the telephone industry. So, that word was an easy guess for me.

AL (Flip) ROSEN for 10D. Great player.

Liked the theme. Got GROUT AND BEAR IT right off the bat, so I had the idea. Helped with the others.

Tried FRUITS for 94A. That did not last long. CITRUS appeared.

Got to run. Church starting soon.

See you tomorrow.

Abejo

(thoutei)

Lemonade714 said...

What a wonderful Sunday surprise with C.C. interpreting a Marti masterpiece. GROUT AND BEAR IT indeed!

So much to love, and only the muse MNEME left me musing. We all know ERA TO, but the history of the muses is complicated. MUSE .

Calvin Peete was the first man of color to play the Masters and paved the way for Tiger. In my first quarter in law school, they filmed some scenes in the movie version of THE NAKED APE on the campus in Gainesville. I was hired as an extra and had a nice time with the stars Victoria Principal and Johnny Crawford. Do you remember Johnny' s most famous role.

Thank you both and Rose for your o original and accurate spin on Florida.

Husker Gary said...

-Lemon, yeah, I didn’t need Google to know Johnny played Chuck Connor’s son in a TV oater and had some bubble gum hit songs! I was trying to think how to phonetically spell PA the way Johnny uniquely pronounced it.
-I’d add to the Florida list – 26. Wearing mittens and hooded sweatshirts on a 50F January morning when 100 Nebraska teenagers are getting off a Disney bus in flip flops and tank tops.

Yellowrocks said...

Marti, great puzzle. I loved your “punny theme.” I sussed the theme early so it really helped.
I see that the Greek PTERO can mean feather or wing, so the clue was fine.
I grew up in the Endless Mountains, the western edge of the Poconos. I lived in the largest town in the county, population 700. I drive through the POCONOS frequently. I can’t wait to go leaf peeping there next month. The woods and valleys there are lovely and the autumn colors spectaculrar.
SOUSE always makes me think of the pickled PA Dutch meat which I don’t much like.
Link souse
The poetry selection for today will be a recitation form Poetry Out Loud. I found this one moving. If you don’t agree there are other links on the page.
Link Recitation

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

A+, Marti, for a very clever, well-constructed puzzle: great theme, tricky cluing, and, best of all, a FUN solve. Only write-overs were Erato/mneme and and-studying/studious. Super expo, CC, as always. Glad to hear Boomer is doing well. Nice picture, BTW.

Belated thanks to CED for Friday's clip of Sheldon and his clowder of cats, which auto-correct wanted chowder
of cats, and to Bill G for the Rube Goldberg Coke ad. (Personally, I prefer Pepsi.). I cannot get a lot of these links on my iPad and must resort to the laptop, when I think of it.

I do hope Mari joins us tomorrow; I miss her banter.

PK, sounds like you had quite the MIL. Mine was a very genteel lady from Scotland who was so vain she changed her DOB on every official document, including her Birth Certificate and Naturalization papers. And every one had a different year.

Happy Sunday.

I would say I'm a Type Zzzzz personality. -:)

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone. Enjoyed reading C.C.'s intro.

No ERASURES today so my cache of Wite-Out is still intact. Very enjoyable puzzle today and got the theme gimmick almost immediately. Soon as I saw an 'O' in the ? clues, i immediately chanced an OU for ……OUT……. No searches were needed.
77a ERECT, 96d AROSE; is this a clecho? Leave it to Marti.
Clever cluing for RENTER, EST, SROS, and SOUSES.
CESSNA - Thought of Dudley who has a 172.

38d, 86400 secs + 1 DAY is in common use by hydrologists. One cubic ft per second of flow (cfs) flowing for a day is one DSF (day second feet) or 86400 cf. Compare this to an acre-foot (AF) of water which is 43560 ft³. 86400/43560 = 1.98 (~2) to convert DSF to AF. These are both important units when doing flood flow analysis and reservoir (storage) analysis. I know, probably TMI, but it reminded me of an earlier time.

Have a great day.

Lucina said...

Greetings, friends!

I agree, life is good when we have a superb Marti puzzle interpreted by C.C.

For me this is an A. I choose to withhold the + for too many sports figures CROSSING each other. It wasn't that difficult to suss them but still, sports. Nah.

Loved the theme and managed to finish without too many ERASURES; DECAF before MOCHA, DAMN then DARN, REPEATS before RETELLS, COJO, COHO.

Also the cluing for AMATI was brilliant.

I'm definitely not a type A, more life Irish Miss, LOL.

Have a super Sunday, everyone!

Lucina said...

Oops. That should be more like Irish Miss.

River Doc said...

HG, that Chuck Connors TV oater was The Rifleman....

61Rampy said...

And Johnny Crawford played Mark McCain...

Anonymous said...

And Mark McCain called his dad "paw"

Bill G. said...

Good morning! I started the puzzle last night and finished it this morning. I thought it was a little more challenging than usual with a clever theme. Thanks Marti and CC. I loved the two mini-skirted young women. If they were walking around including some "Do Me" shoes, I would consider them fully weaponized.

I enjoy "Sunday Morning" so much. Some of it was repeats but it was all good stuff as usual. I really enjoyed the essay on 'Vocal Fry.' I could find it in written form but I couldn't find the video to go with it. Then there were essays about a really talented art forger, the Beatles secretary and an interesting history lesson on Woodrow Wilson. I've still got a couple of segments to go. It's all good stuff.

Spitzboov said...

Marti - re: in-out. How about outhouse job? Clued as "the surreptitious taking of one's skivvies while in a country loo." 'Inhouse job' is in common usage.

How about shout guard, the library aide who keeps saying shhh to the noisy youngsters. (vs. shinguard)

HeartRx said...

Spitz, I already had the SHOUT(ing) - shin(ing) switch, so I couldn't repeat it. But, SHOUT GUARD was on my short list for this puzzle (almost exactly as you clued it!!)

OUTHOUSE JOB is really funny - wish I had thought of that one!

...maybe I should run future theme ideas by you!!

Bill G. said...

"It's quiet around the Corner today."

"Yeah. Almost too quiet..."

One of you recommended a program "TEACH" a couple of days ago? Thanks. I recorded it and am about 75 percent of the way finished it. It was very good I thought. Interesting though. They were all good, dedicated teachers but I noticed something right away in a couple of their teaching styles that I would have wanted to improve. They said things something like, "You see that? Does everybody get how that works? Understand? You all get that, don't you? Right?"

Somewhere along the way in my teacher career we had an inservice by Madeline Hunter from UCLA. Most inservices were things to be dreaded but she really connected with me. She taught me to Model, to Monitor and Adjust, Checking for Understanding, Active Participation, etc.

I learned not to ask for hands (I would get responses only from kids who already knew what I was teaching) but to say things like; I'm going to call on somebody to explain the next step in 30 seconds. If you know, great. If you're not so sure, feel free to talk to somebody nearby. Or, Lori, if you had to guess what would be the most common response to the question, "What was the most confusing part of today's lesson, what would be your guess?"

I could go on but I don't want to bore anybody. She (Madeline Hunter) made some big improvements in my teaching style and I couldn't help but notice some of those same shortcoming in some of those teachers in the TEACH program. Active Participation is so important and it doesn't seem to be a natural teaching style for all people.

CrossEyedDave said...

A Marti Puzzle! (of course I had to do it in ink!)

That being said, 72A had to be "inkblots." ( I can just see Martis' face as she created this devious clue...) I spent the rest of the day fixing that mess!!!

39D Poconos, Yes! But I can't divulge more as DW & I were not married yet...

90D Skimpy Skirts... (obviously some more research is needed...)

Pookie said...

Congrats on a Sunday puzzle, Marti!
This was so much FUN to do.
Missed by uBOAT and uBRO.
Thanks, C.C. for a great review

Jayce said...

Hello everybody. Very nifty puzzle today; thank you, Marti. Loved the theme. And thank you, C.C., for your writeup.
Doha Doc, sure enough, I penciled in A DAMN before settling for A DARN.
We stayed in yesterday and today to watch the America's Cup racing, which we found to be quite exciting. Some extremely skilled sailing going on.
I bet Lucina also knows what a snowbird is.
Our son reports his new store had a successful opening this week and he already has plenty of walk-in customers. He sounded reeeeeal happy on the phone.
Best wishes to you all.

TTP said...

Marti,
That was a great puzzle. It took forever. Had other things going all day. I would fill a few and then had to stop until I could get back to it. Flat figure, caves and pulls in were a few of my favorite clues.

CC, thank you for the wonderful writeup. I was with you on PTER. I don't know if I would like Yak butter, but I would try it.

Manac said...

Who could say no to a Marti
Sundae treat. I also confidently
wrote in Inkblot at 72A. The theme answers were the last to fill for me.
Couldn't figure it in for the longest time.

Well done Marti!

Manac said...

Did no one link this today?
Dingo
Or was everyone researching those Mini's

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Super Sunday offering, Marti! Very nice review, CC!

Theme was lots of fun.

I had a terrific choc. cream gluten-free cake from Gelsons. Made it last ten days. (I, too, have celiac disease.)

Encore has been running a James Bond festival. Really credibility-straining!

Cheers!

PK said...

Jayce, I sure wish I could go to your son's store. My flip-top cell phone works fine except that I dropped it and now I can't get the back to stay on. It's about six years old. I treat it very gently, but it's annoying. I don't need all the new bells and whistles because I can't figure out the ones I've had for six years. Ah me!

I gave A DAMN too. In the puzzle, I mean.

Qli said...

Thanks to Marti and C.C. for this morning's puzzle and commentary. This was a lot of fun, and for some reason, I got the theme, which helped with the SE corner. "Flat figure" just about finished me, though.

Funny you should mention 'Sunday Morning". BIll G. I always record that show, and just finished watching it. Kinda wanted to slap that art forger...

Our son got engaged yesterday! We a thrilled-he picked a wonderful girl.

Lucina said...

Jayce:
How wonderful for your son! I'll have to go check it out.

Splynter said...

Hi there~!

Well done, Marti, loved the theme. I like it when there's a little more challenge on a Sunday, as I had all the same mistakes as Doha. really wanted INK BLOTS for Tinbeni.

Got here late, as I was involved in a video/stills shoot for the backyard/tailgate game my friend Mike invented - hope to post pictures soon - boost sales, as well~!

Thanks for the skirts pic, C.C.~! Where is that place? I need to move there~!

Splynter

Bill G. said...

I am up to learning to take derivatives in my calculus lessons from Khan Academy. So far I'm doing OK.

Here are a couple of videos I enjoyed. The first is about the same annoying epidemic I first heard about on Sunday Morning called Vocal Fry (though it's not the same video). The second one is just fun.

Vocal Fry

Boogie Woogie dance finals

Anonymous T said...

Sadness ensues
No Sunday's LAT to-dos

NYT in my pulp
but LAT is a Marti triumph!

Alas.

I never said I could write poetry :-)

I'm glad all had a great Sunday. I'll catch up tomorrow. Cheers, -T

Dudley said...

Drat. Cruciverb is coming up empty again, at least for the Monday puzzle.

Bill G. 9:35 - thanks for linking "vocal fry", which I've known as "glottal fry". I've been aware of, and annoyed by, the trend for some years. It is so pervasive that it even shows up among radio broadcasters who should know better. My 56 year old sister absorbed the habit from her college students. Drives me nuts! Frankly, it's a comfort to know that others have noticed too.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

The blog main post looks unusual this morning. The right edge words all spill out. Comments section is fine.

Does the main post look alright on your screen, everyone?